Historically, business-for-sale transactions have surged in the first quarter of the New Year. With more business owners looking to sell as part of their New Year’s resolution, there’s no better time than now to spruce up your marketing efforts and grow your inventory of listings.
Here’s 7 ways to gain more clients now:
- Get referrals. Not only are referrals a great way to grow your listings, they’re a mainstay for growing any business. Start by reaching out to former clients and continue by reaching out to your professional network, including accountants, attorneys and former colleagues. Learn more creative ways to get referrals in our article, How to Boost Client Referrals and Make Them the Bread and Butter of Your Business
- Host seminars and workshops. As a successful business broker, you’re an expert in your field and hosting a free workshop is a great opportunity to tell business owners how they can benefit from using your services. This is a great opportunity to generate exposure for yourself, develop new relationships and grow your business. You’ll find step-by-step details on hosting your own seminar or workshop in our article, 7 Tips to Grow Your Business Giving Educational Seminars and Workshops.
- Offer a gift or promotion. A free consultation, evaluation or estimate is a great way to attract new prospects and show them what you can do for them. Gifts and promotions are also a great ways to network and get referrals.
- Direct marketing. If you’re strictly digital, then email marketing is one of the most cost-effective ways to reach new prospects. You can purchase targeted lists, such as business owners, from InfoUSA or Dun & Bradstreet for both email and traditional direct mail campaigns. Depending on your budget, there are many creative ways to target new customers directly, including telemarketing, text messaging and online marketing.
- Be more visible online. While most brokers can be found online, either through a website or a professional directory, many don’t keep their information up-to-date. If you have a website, it should be mobile responsive and follow all of Google’s SEO best practices, otherwise it will be less visible in Google searches. You should also be listed in all the current online directories, including Google+, Bing, Yext, NeustarLocaleze and Yelp.
- Leverage social media. Not only is social media a great way to grow your business, it’s a very cost effective way to get the word out. Facebook is by far the largest social network worldwide and offers a number of ways to boost your posts and pages. LinkedIn may be smaller, but it’s the top social network for B2B marketing, while Google+ offers SEO benefits. Bonus tip: If you’re a BizBuySell’s member and a member of LinkedIn or any of our partners, you can link your accounts and distribute your listings, free of charge. For more tips on leveraging social media, read our article, 7 Ways to Add Value to Your Business With Social Media Marketing.
- Optimize your BrokerWorks membership. Your BrokerWorks membership is one of the most powerful tools you can use to market yourself and your listings. Are you taking advantage of its full potential? Your broker profile should be complete; it should impress prospects with a well-rounded idea of what you can do for them, including your expertise and credentials. The more complete your profile is, the higher it ranks in search results. Your listings should also be complete, with catchy headlines and professional photos. You should also consider upgrading to an Elite membership, which generates 5X more seller leads on average. For more information, read our article, 3 Ways to Optimize Your BrokerWorks Membership and Generate More Leads.
Now is a great time to apply these tips to boost your listing inventory for the coming busy season. These tips can also be applied again and again, throughout the entire year, as best practices to grow your business and generate new leads.