U.S. business brokers reported more than 7200 small business transactions to BizBuySell in 2015, while the number of small business listed in Q1 2016 reached a seven-year high. To better understand the people behind this activity, BizBuySell launched a survey of 1700 U.S. small business owners who have expressed an interest in selling, and more than 1300 prospective buyers.
The results provided an in-depth look at today’s market demographics, including age, gender, ethnicity, military experience and more. In the resulting white paper available below, we break down what today’s buyers and sellers look like and how demographic factors influence their business preferences and motivations.
Topics covered in the white paper include:
- The makeup of small business buyers and sellers. An overview of the core demographics and motivations that fuel business transactions in America.
- Trends in serial entrepreneurship. We dissect the characteristics of sellers who have previously owned a business or desire to own another business. We also look at sellers with a family history of entrepreneurship and examine how the true definition of retirement can vary.
- What the new generation of small business owners looks like. A glance at how millennials and increasingly diverse buyers are changing the business for sale landscape, including how younger, female buyers differ from their older, male counterparts.
- How ethnicity plays a role in buyers’ motivations for purchasing a small business. The dream of being your own boss, leaving corporate America and gaining additional income are all core drivers for entering the small business arena. We take a look at the notable differences each motivator plays across ethnicities.
- Getting to Know Veteran Business Buyers. A look into the motivations, desired businesses and financing preferences of buyers who have served in the military and how they compare to non-veterans.
Read the full report
Walker Sands Communications
BizBuySell is the Internet's largest business for sale marketplace. Since 1996, BizBuySell has offered tools that make it easy for business owners and brokers to sell a business, and potential buyers to find the business of their dreams. BizBuySell currently has an inventory of approximately 48,000 businesses - spanning 80 countries - for sale at any one time and receives more than 1 million monthly visits. The site also features an extensive franchise directory as well as an easy-to-use business valuation tool. Please visit www.bizbuysell.com for more information.
BizBuySell was founded in 1996 and in 2012 became a division of CoStar Group, Inc. (NASDAQ - CSGP) - commercial real estate's leading provider of information and analytic services. CoStar conducts expansive, ongoing research to produce and maintain the largest and most comprehensive database of commercial real estate information and offers a suite of online services enabling clients to analyze, interpret and gain unmatched insight on commercial property values, market conditions and current availabilities. For more information, visit www.costar.com.