The BizBuySell Small Business Community

  • Get Expert Advice

  •  • Find Local Service Professionals

  •  • Share Your Experiences

where can i get a financial statement for a potential buyer for our business

No User Photo

Answer This Question

max 5000 characters

Web Reference (optional)

e.g., "www.mywebsite.com"

Review Community Guidelines

Help keep our Community clean and on topic. The BizBuySell Community is a place where you can discuss your questions, concerns and knowledge with others you can trust. It is not OK to use this forum to solicit others for personal or financial gain, or to rant about personal issues. It's all in the guidelines.

Submit Your Answer
Answers (5)
No User Photo
Small Business Underwriters
Founder

If the buyer wants financial statements, your best bet is to give them copies of prior years tax returns, which is most common for small businesses. The ideal statements you could give are audited financials, which basically means an accountant is vouching that the numbers have help up to certain audit standards.

Jun 16, 2009
Michelle Orr
Wells Fargo SBA Lending
Business Development Officer
Fairfield County, CT

Brenda,
If you are seeking a personal financial statement form to be used for a buyer, there is a standard form used for SBA loans (Form 413) that I can email to you. Give me a call at 203-345-6118 or send an email to morr@orrcommercialcapital.com to clarify the use of the statement.

Best regards,
Michelle Orr

Jun 15, 2009
David Collins
Glentyde Capital Advisors, Inc.
CEO / Owner
Mecklenburg County, NC

Brenda, expanding just a bit on Mr. Batts' excellent advice, it'll be helpful for you to keep in mind three points (among the many others you'll invariably be advised about):

1) Financial statement ("FS") credibility. It's not true that an FS is an FS is an FS. In terms of reliability and credibility, there's really a full spectrum. At one end (weakest), you'd could be furnished with an FS that was slapped together by the buyer's brother-in-law who studied bookkeeping via correspondence course during Kennedy's administration. At the other end you'd have an FS that's accompanied by a certified audit from a top CPA firm. In between are different levels of credibility, such as an FS prepared by, but not auditied by, an independent CPA firm. A tax return might be considered another form of 'in-between' FS, especially if prepared by an unrelated preparer.

2) The level of credibility you'll need to be furnished depends in part on the ratio of cash-at-closing to seller paper. If you get 80%, say, of the selling price up front, that's one thing. But if the terms of the deal call for 10% down and a note to you for the other 90%, then the level of reliability you need in the FS steps up quite a bit.

3) Be sure to get an FS from each party which is signing or co-signing any paper you take in the sale. In other words, you might need one from the corporation which is buying your biz, and another from the buyer's majority shareholder who is a guarantor on the note (for example).

Not a direct answer to your question, but rather just a few tidbits to keep in mind which are ancillary to the FS topic. Best of luck!

Jun 14, 2009
Douglas Batts
Murphy Business & Financial Corporation
Collin County, TX
Premium Broker

Brenda, there are many different sources of financial statements online, such as the one that was suggested earlier. My question to you is what are you trying to accomplish with the buyer's financial statement? Are you trying to determine if the buyer has the financial resources to buy your business? A financial statement is simply a collection of data that is basically useless unless verified, which most individuals are limited in their ability to accomplish. Another significant consideration is buyer credit worthiness if you are providing any level of seller financing. Feel free to email me privately and I will be happy to share more insights specific to your situation.

Jun 13, 2009
No User Photo
Sharp Business Opportunities
San Diego County, CA

Score templates - http://www.score.org/template_gallery.html
Personal Financial Statement - http://www.score.org/downloads/Personal%20Financial%20Statement.xls

Jun 12, 2009

Start a Discussion