The BizBuySell Small Business Community

  • Get Expert Advice

  •  • Find Local Service Professionals

  •  • Share Your Experiences

When do I start paying rent?

Once I signed on the dotted line for a retail space...and my build out process (space is already built...I just need to convert it to my desired retail outlet) takes 3 - 4 months. Do I pay rent in those months? Or do I start paying rent when I open the store? Thanks.

No User Photo

Answer This Question

max 5000 characters

Web Reference (optional)

e.g., ""

Review Community Guidelines

Help keep our Community clean and on topic. The BizBuySell Community is a place where you can discuss your questions, concerns and knowledge with others you can trust. It is not OK to use this forum to solicit others for personal or financial gain, illegal activities, or to rant about personal issues. Please review the full guidelines if you have any questions.

Submit Your Answer
Answers (4)
No User Photo
Denton County, TX

no...this is great...I was talking to a strip mall realtor today and they quoted me $25 to $26.50 per square foot for a 1,500 square foot shell space. I am guessing that quote is PER YEAR (total $37,500; monthly $,3120 per month)...I live in Plano, Tx so I think that quote is per year...but just want to make sure.

BTW...if anyone knows of good real estate attorneys in Dallas, Tx that would be great. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2009
Steven St
World Business Partners, Inc
Los Angeles County, CA

Sorry I wasn't more specific, it's true every lease is different. Negotiate and review your lease with the landlord.

Apr 27, 2009
Steven St
World Business Partners, Inc
Los Angeles County, CA

Generally, you do not have to start paying rent until you physically move into the property.

That being said, if you are planning on doing major build out or substantial renovations to the space then it will most likely (and should be) the most detailed part of your lease agreement.

There are lots of issues to resolve in doing major improvements to a commercial property like who will pay for most of the improvements, who will have control over the design and how and when it will be completed.

You should really have a good idea of who is going to do what between you and the landlord. After you two have agreed on how the process is going to work then you should consult a very experienced and competent real estate attorney to draw up the contract.

I'm not for spending any more money than you have too. But the extra money that you pay for an higher priced attorney can save you and protect you for years longer than if you just hired any attorney off the street.

Hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2009
Anthony W Belletete, CPA
Business Acquisition Consultants
Selling your business is our business.
Santa Fe County, NM

All cases are different. You have to check your lease.

Apr 27, 2009