The BizBuySell Small Business Community

  • Get Expert Advice

  •  • Find Local Service Professionals

  •  • Share Your Experiences

I want to sell my 13yo manufacturing business located in Montana. Do I need a broker licensed in Montana.

The business can be relocated out of state or can be purchased in place along with the land, facility and home. I want a broker that has experience, knowledge and contacts, not just someone that wants to make a few dollars.

No User Photo

Answer This Question

max 5000 characters

Web Reference (optional)

e.g., ""

Review Community Guidelines

Help keep our Community clean and on topic. The BizBuySell Community is a place where you can discuss your questions, concerns and knowledge with others you can trust. It is not OK to use this forum to solicit others for personal or financial gain, illegal activities, or to rant about personal issues. Please review the full guidelines if you have any questions.

Submit Your Answer
Answers (4)
No User Photo

Before you do anything else read this book, "SELLING YOUR BUSINESS? GET PREPARED!" by James Witham. It's available at Amazon (search by title and name) or on his website www.Putittogether.BIZ.

Jul 18, 2013
Jack Morehouse
Financial Cornerstone.

I have used and am familiar with two ethical, knowledgeable Business Brokers in Montana. Two different areas of the state (Missoula and Billings) but it always seems like a good decision to speak with several Business Brokers to better understand their expertise, how many transactions they have actually completed and how they intend to market your business. If you want to contact me at I would be happy to discuss with you. I have no affiliation wth either Broker, just want to see if I can send a couple of respected Brokers your way!!

May 19, 2013
Merle Northrop
Flatiron Ventures Inc
Boulder County, CO

If the business is truly portable, then the real estate license is usually not needed. However, it would seem that manufacturing requires a facility. The size of the business may suggest whether it is truly relocatable also. For instance, depending on the gross revenue and number of employees involved. The more of either of those, the less easily it is to relocate. My opinion is that the business drives the transaction, not the real estate. No matter who you select, I feel strongly that a qualified business broker, knowledgable in your industry is the critical person for you to select. Getting a local real estate broker to participate can be done after you connect with a business broker.
Good luck,

Apr 16, 2013
No User Photo
The BAF Group LLC

Montana does not require a Business Broker to be licensed; however, if the Real Estate is also to be sold with the Business, a Real Estate Licensee needs to be involved. And that person should ideally be a Business Broker with a Real Estate License. Frequently, classic Real Estate Agents do not know how to effectively and legally sell Businesses. (As a Business Broker, I do not feel competent in selling Residential Property, either!)

Depending upon the Business, it is often best to position the sale of the Business and the Property, together. But again, that depends on the nature of your Business. There are about a dozen questions I would ask you before making a concrete decision on the subject, but qualified, experienced, local Brokers are normally going to be the best place for you to start. You might want to ask your Accountant or Attorney for a referral.

Apr 16, 2013