The BizBuySell Small Business Community

  • Get Expert Advice

  •  • Find Local Service Professionals

  •  • Share Your Experiences

How do I get a rough valuation

I own 16.5% of a landscaping business. It employs 60-80 people and has an annual turn over of between 2.5 and 4 million $. My ex husband wont provide the documentation to value the business. What formula would allow me to get an approximate value.

No User Photo

Answer This Question

max 5000 characters

Web Reference (optional)

e.g., ""

Review Community Guidelines

Help keep our Community clean and on topic. The BizBuySell Community is a place where you can discuss your questions, concerns and knowledge with others you can trust. It is not OK to use this forum to solicit others for personal or financial gain, or to rant about personal issues. It's all in the guidelines.

Submit Your Answer
Answers (4)
No User Photo
Signal Hill Holdings, LLC
General Partner

It sounds like a substantial business but pegging it between $2.5 and $4mm in sales is not useful by itself. I do rough valuations all the time to evaluate businesses to buy. I can help but you need some basics before anyone can say anything. You need at minimum the latest balance sheet and profit and loss statement. If you are an owner, even a small minority owner, you may have received some old financial info that could still ballpark the numbers. However, it is a valid question to ask what you need it for as that will dictate which direction you want to go with the numbers.


Sep 20, 2015
No User Photo
Self Employed
Santa Barbara County, CA


The below answers are correct, however they make several assumptions that may or may not be correct. 1. Who owns the other 83.5% of the company? If there are others besides your Ex then there are options 2. What exactly is the relationship with your Ex? 3. Just because he doesn't want to give you the information, doesn't mean he won't. 4. What do you want the valuation for, are you trying to sell your %, and to whom? There are several ways to use leverage you may or may not have, and nobody knows what that is until we have had a conversation and explore all options. The last thing you want to do is run out and spend a bunch of money on attorneys and use the courts, it should be a last resort. If you go that route you are declaring war, and better to try a few other options first. Feel free to shoot me a note if you like, I'd be happy to discuss with you.

Sep 2, 2015
Daniel Kohler
Blackburn & Fears Inc

We have done some probate work but Don is right. The problem is your spouse is not going to give access to the financial data so you will need the court to force it and the court will pick the certified appraiser and, in most cases since trust an issue, a forensic accountant. It will be worth it and the court can force that cost to be split - the forensic accountant will be far more expensive than the appraiser but you will get the truth. Good luck

Aug 23, 2015
No User Photo
The BAF Group LLC

You need a certifed valuator, which is not cheap, but an aversarial relationship demands morevthan just an approximate value.

Aug 21, 2015

Start a Discussion