The BizBuySell Small Business Community

  • Get Expert Advice

  •  • Find Local Service Professionals

  •  • Share Your Experiences

How can I use my 401k money for start up costs without paying tax on it?

No User Photo

Answer This Question

max 5000 characters

Web Reference (optional)

e.g., ""

Review Community Guidelines

Help keep our Community clean and on topic. The BizBuySell Community is a place where you can discuss your questions, concerns and knowledge with others you can trust. It is not OK to use this forum to solicit others for personal or financial gain, or to rant about personal issues. It's all in the guidelines.

Submit Your Answer
Answers (4)
Steven St
World Business Partners, Inc
Los Angeles County, CA

I agree with Don. There are companies that do this BUT this should be one of your very very very last options. Business failures for even established businesses are notoriously HIGH. The last thing you want to do is put your 401k at risk because if the business fails you will be paying far more than if you used other types of financing. Find a partner or find a different source of financing.

Apr 24, 2009
No User Photo
Triple R Mergers and Acquisitions
Henderson County, NC

You have several options. You can do a rollover or we offer loans using your 401K as collateral. If you would like more information contact me at 800-368-1498 or you can schedule an appointment with me by going to

Rob Ritch
Biz Capital Solutions

Apr 22, 2009
No User Photo
Franchise Advisory Group

Dana, there are companies that specifically do that. It's called a rollover and is accepted by the IRS. Please contact me at 888-241-6629 and I will put you in contact with them.

Apr 16, 2009
No User Photo
The BAF Group LLC

Dana, you need to talk specifically to your 401k Administrator or a CPA. This is a very dangerous thing to do, and frankly I would not recommend it, in the strongest terms. But again, for a specific answer, you need professional guidance that know your personal financial situation. Please be careful with that.

Apr 15, 2009

Start a Discussion