The BizBuySell Small Business Community

  • Get Expert Advice

  •  • Find Local Service Professionals

  •  • Share Your Experiences

Does a broker have to be licensed in the same state in which my business is located?

No User Photo

Answer This Question

max 5000 characters

Web Reference (optional)

e.g., ""

Review Community Guidelines

Help keep our Community clean and on topic. The BizBuySell Community is a place where you can discuss your questions, concerns and knowledge with others you can trust. It is not OK to use this forum to solicit others for personal or financial gain, or to rant about personal issues. It's all in the guidelines.

Submit Your Answer
Answers (3)
No User Photo
Vested Business Brokers
Senior Business Broker
Suffolk County, NY

There are 13 states that require a business broker to be licensed. According to an IBBA convention Seminar in 2000, at least 13 states required Business Brokers to have a Real Estate license. The following require a license to practice as a business broker: Arkansas, California, Colorado[2], Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon[3], South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
You might feel more comfortable with a local broker who knows your market, however, a good business broker can sell a business no matter the state.
My company does business through out the Northeast. If your business is located in the Northeast give me a call and we cal talk. You can find me on our website under brokers. Desiree

May 12, 2009
No User Photo
The BAF Group LLC

There are some businesses where you might want a local Broker, regardless of whether there is no license requirement in your State. We do some national sales and buyer representation, but if the transaction requires local Broker activity, we refer the deal to someone locally. Part of the decision on your part is also dealing with someone in which you have confidence.

May 12, 2009
No User Photo
Vested Business Brokers
Business Broker
New York County, NY

Every state is different, most do not require a licence for Business Brokering. If you are in NY I would be happy to speak with you.

Dennis Launer

May 11, 2009

Start a Discussion