The BizBuySell Small Business Community

  • Get Expert Advice

  •  • Find Local Service Professionals

  •  • Share Your Experiences

Buying an existing business, how much value from the business will be collateral.

Hello, I have been looking into buying or starting a business. I have about $100,000 equity in my home, $20,000 cash and $30,000 in a retirement account.

If I were to go to a bank an seek a SBA loan to purchase an existing business, how much collateral from the existing business could be used?

With my money situation how much of a business should I be looking to buy?

Thanks guys!

No User Photo

Answer This Question

max 5000 characters

Web Reference (optional)

e.g., ""

Review Community Guidelines

Help keep our Community clean and on topic. The BizBuySell Community is a place where you can discuss your questions, concerns and knowledge with others you can trust. It is not OK to use this forum to solicit others for personal or financial gain, or to rant about personal issues. It's all in the guidelines.

Submit Your Answer
Answers (5)
No User Photo

We are financial consultants to a group of investors whom we have their consent to manage their funds which is in our custody for cooperation in joint venture business investments.

Our areas of interest include Property Development and real estate, Health Care, Education and training, Mining and exploration, Energy, oil and gas,Technology, Software development, Agriculture, Manufacturing, Finance Services and Leisure.However, all viable proposals within reason will be considered.

Funds shall be made available to you as a direct investment loan at 3% interest rate per annual for a period of 2 or 30 years depending on what you prefer. You may contact us if you have interesting investment proposal for possible business collaboration for our study.

We look forward to your reply to enable us provide you with details or you may visit our website.

Kindly acknowledge receipt of email.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely
Jesse Peterson
phone: (980) 239-7539

Aug 17, 2017
No User Photo

Hello everyone here, there is a firm that give Loans to both individuals, organizations and anyone in need of an emergency loan at 2% Interest Rate. I have being using them for over a year plus now including my friends and other individuals and they are indeed reliable, reach Jon Billy email at ( they can guide and advice you on every step involved. You can give them a Try if you wish but i assure of success in every transaction done with them. Thank you

Aug 8, 2016
No User Photo
The BAF Group LLC

Why not start by taking a look at our blog. It is set up really for people exactly like you, giving guidance to how, or even with to start or buy a business. There are 36 posts altogether. Start at:

Sep 23, 2014
No User Photo
B2B Sales
Arapahoe County, CO

Thank you for answering back. I honestly dont know what I want to do. I am very open to a number of different ideas. I just dont even know where to start lol.

Sep 23, 2014
No User Photo
The BAF Group LLC

Ross, unfortunately it is not that simple. First and foremost, SBA is going to look for perhaps as much is 30% down on any business, from you. In most cases, the seller can provide you with a secondary note so that, for example if you have 15% of the purchase price, it you get the seller to provide you with a note for another 15%. That allows you to take the combination of 30% to the SBA. There other ways around this issue, but this is the most common.

Having $100,000 of equity in your home doesn't do you much good anymore, because what lenders are looking for is that cash injection that I just described. And banks will not allow you to use your equity in your home, if you tell them it is for the purchase of a business. The retirement account? You can use it, but I would really counsel against it.

And as for equity in the business? Unless you are purchasing real estate that conveys with the business, or you have a tremendous amount of equipment in an industry such as manufacturing, there is very little to any collateral to be obtained from an existing business. Automotive businesses and restaurants, for example have virtually no value in any of the equipment that are brought to the table. Goodwill is essentially what you are purchasing, and that of course has no tangible value which can be equated to collateral.

Without knowing the exact business you are looking at, it is really difficult to provide you with anything that even hints of a positive response. It really is, to a large degree a case-by-case situation.

Sep 23, 2014

Start a Discussion